The muddy yards and “tarmac only” recesses as of late tell us that it is April! While the disappearance of our snow is wonderful, the soggy yard hasn’t been great for our recess soccer, manhunt and football players! The warming weather has seen the occasional student coming to school in shorts; however, not too many are quite that brave yet. I am sure that this will soon change!
March was a successful month at DGH, with many events and happenings.
• topping the list would have be our successful speech contestants who went onto the Woodville Legion competition which was held on March 8th. Caitlyn O’Ryan and Gavin Gregory represented DGH at the Intermediate level. To say that they did well would be an understatement! Caitlyn finished in first place and Gavin in second place. At the Junior level, Bodhi Martin and Madelyn Byleveld competed. While they did not move on, the both spoke well and were wonderful representatives for our school.
• all of our basketball teams (Primary, Junior, Senior Boys and Senior Girls) were busy practising and involved themselves in a number of exhibition games. Its impressive to see the level of commitment that students and coaches have shown this season.
• our grade 7s & 8s enjoyed two days of electives on the final two Fridays in March. Students could choose from rock wall climbing, bowling and cooking class. Behaviour was great and the kids had a wonderful time.
• if you have driven by our school as of late, you will have noticed the activity taking place on the roof. DGH is receiving a brand new roof. The hope is that the leaks which have periodically happened at DGH over the years will be fully eliminated (here is to keeping our fingers crossed!).
Upcoming April Events
• all of our basketball teams will be participating in their Zone tournaments in the week of April 3rd to 7th. Any teams which finish in the top two of their division qualify for the County Tournaments.
• Jump Rope for Heart kicks off on Friday, April 7th. A letter will be going home with students providing information about the day.
• we have our next Spirit Day coming up on Thursday, April 13th. We are asking students to break out the PASTEL COLOURS!
• we will have a group of grade 7s & 8s headed to the Cardboard Boat Races which are held by the TLDSB each year. This year it takes place on Tuesday, April 18th. This is a popular event for participants as they use their skills in building a cardboard boat out of very limited materials and try to race it across the pool.
• our next Parent Council Meeting takes place on Wednesday, April 19th at 6:00pm in the school library.
• DGH’s “I Give a Shirt” challenge begins on Monday, April 24th. More information regarding this challenge will be posted to the website soon.
• Friday, April 28th sees two events happening. This will be a Spirit Day, with students being encouraged to wear NEON COLOURS. As well, Ms. Cayley and the Student Council will be holding their annual Loonie Line Assembly. More information on this event will be posted to the website soon.
And with that…the month of April will draw to a close. With this many activities and events taking place, the month will pass us by quickly. With May and June being no less busy, the remainder of this school year will be over before we know it!