As hard as it seems to believe, the end of the school year is less than a full month away! If you check out the calendar on this website, you will also see how many activities, events and opportunities exists for our students at DGH. Each time I wonder if anything else can be squeezed into the month of June…something else appears on the calendar! While it makes for a busy time, it also provides outstanding opportunities for our students. Thank you to both the students and staff who get so involved in our school life.
Please note: as has become the practice, I have not provided a recap of the previous month’s achievements and successes. Not because they aren’t important (they are VERY important), but because the majority of these achievements have already been highlighted in the posts to the website. If you have not checked out these successes – please do so! DGH is a very busy place and our students constantly continue to amaze us!
• Ms. McGregor’s, Ms. Arscott’s and Ms. Stebbins’ classes are headed to the Peterborough Zoo on June 21st. The Peterborough Zoo is the perfect size for an early Primary outing! The wide variety of animals and excellent playground makes it a popular place for younger children.
• Ms. Kirkpatrick’s, Ms. Marsh’s, Ms Adams’ and Ms. Britton’s classes are headed to Skyzone on June 10th for fun trampolining activities and lunch outside at the park
• Mr. Hetherington’s, Ms. Burns’ and Ms. McColl’s classes are headed to Camp Wanakita on June 15th and 16th. Camp Wanakita is all about outdoor activity! Let’s hope that the black flies and mosquitoes have died down by then…
• Ms. Graham’s class will be enjoying Niagara Falls’ attractions June 21 and 22. Aside from staying at Great Wolf Lodge (pretty sweet in itself) students will be visiting the Falls (including a boat ride on the Maid of the Mist) and the Skylon Tower and many other attractions
• Ms. Read’s grade 8s are off to Canada’s Wonderland on June 21. This is a great way to kick off the last couple of weeks of elementary school!
Other Events and Activities Taking Place
• the grade 7 and 8 Golf Qualifier for the DGH Golf Team takes place on Wednesday, June 1. Ms. Graham is again coaching the DGH team. The DGH Golf Team will compete at the County Tournament on Friday, June 10. Ms. Graham is also once again convening the County Golf Tournament.
• our grade 8s will be visiting LCVI on Thursday, June 2. This is an opportunity for our grade 8s to get a sense of LCVI’s layout and learn a little bit about what high school life will be all about.
• the final PA Day of the year takes place on June 3. While students will be enjoying a long weekend, staff will be working on report cards
• the grade 7s and 8s will be enjoying the annual Bike Ride into Lindsay on June 6. This has become a popular event for the Intermediates each year. While it is a long day for the Intermediates – it is also a great day! Keep your fingers crossed for nice weather on the 6th, please!
• the DGH Junior and Intermediate Track and Field team heads to the County Tournament on Wednesday, June 8. The Primary team heads to its County event on Tuesday, June 14. DGH’s teams are competitive every year and this year’s teams are no different. While we hope for success, we far happier to see our students being physically active and showing perseverance in whatever events they compete in.
• we welcome next year’s JK students to DGH on June 8 at our Welcome to Kindergarten event. This is a BIG day for our soon to be new students and their parents! If this a family’s first child to start school, it is the start of a wonderful journey! Visiting our Kindergarten classrooms, meeting staff and getting a chance to see the school are all parts of the morning.
• Ms. McColl’s class welcomes Scientists in the School back on June 13. This programme is extremely “hands-on” and always a hit with students. The people who teach the programme are passionate about Science and the topics they teach – which means a high level of engagement for all involved.
• the Intermediates are off to an afternoon Blue Jays game on June 14. Ms. Graham is just a wee bit passionate about baseball and being able to share this passion with her students is sure to make her day. Keep your fingers crossed for a sunny day – a sunny day with the dome open is pretty hard to beat!
• Ms. Burns’ and Ms. McColl’s classes are headed off to a “Learn to Fish” programme on June 23. Given the number of lakes and rivers in the local area…this sounds like a perfect outing!
• the final week of school begins with the grade 8 Grad breakfast on Monday, June 27. The grade 8 Graduation ceremony takes place on Tuesday, June 28 (the dress rehearsal takes place first thing in the morning) with the dance immediately following the ceremony. This will be a memorable day for our graduates! As always, the graduates will look great, with magnetic smiles showing as they cross the stage.
• the final day of school is Wednesday, June 29th. Report Cards for all but our grade 8s will go home on Tuesday, June 28th
And, with that, the 2015-2016 school year will draw to a close!